Put your smart phone to work with quit smoking apps.
You already do everything with your smartphone; why not quit smoking with it too?! There are lots of quit smoking apps that provide a variety of resources to help you kick the habit for good. Most apps are designed to provide information, support, and motivation for your quit. There are some apps that also offer unique feature or services, such as games or skill-building activities to prepare you for your quit. Others provide tools to keep track of things like your cravings, moods, or smokefree progress.
Just like there are many different ways to quit (like using medications or NRTs, or going cold turkey), there’s no one size fits all approach with quit smoking apps. One app may work for one person and not for you, and not one of them is 100% guaranteed to make you quit. So which one(s) will work for you? Here are some tips to help you decide:
- Reflect on what has been helpful for you in a past quit attempt or what may be useful. Are you the type of person that likes a lot of information? Tips? Inspiration? Tools?
- Consider how often you plan to use the app. Do you plan to use the app every day to track things, or do you want to use it just for whenever you need a little extra motivation?
- Think about how much you’re willing to spend. There are a lot of apps that are free and some that you have to pay a few bucks for.
- Ask former smokers if they’ve used a quit smoking app before and if/how it was helpful. Peer referrals are always a good place to start.
- Download and explore some apps to see what features you like/don’t like. Before committing to an app, spend some time looking into a few of them.
You can get started by going to your smart phone’s app section and search for “quit smoking.” You can also explore Smokefree.gov’s QuitGuide or these lists of quit smoking apps from Mashable, Men’s Fitness, and Healthline.
Which quit smoking apps have you tried? Let us know how they’ve helped on Facebook!
Note: Quit & Stay Quit Monday does not endorse any particular quit smoking app.